Thursday, August 18, 2011

life's candy and the sun's a ball of butter

I have once again entered the world of food service. Only this time, it's all one thing: FROZEN YOGURT!!! That's right - I now work at Tutti Frutti. I like it a lot. I forgot how much I love customer service, plus there's something about peeling and cutting fruit that is really soothing. It makes one feel productive, I think. Tutti Frutti is very different from Chick-fil-A, though - it's MUCH less official for one thing, much less busy, and there are so many fewer employees! But hey, it's a job, it's hours, and while it's basically minimum wage, it's still money, plus tips! God has a way of providing exactly what is needed. It's a great schedule, plus I can still work a couple shifts a week at Pump it Up, and yet I don't have to be at work all the time like I was at CFA. I can still keep my commitments to BSF and youth group - which is really all I need from a job.

So come see me at Tutti Frutti sometime! Seriously.

In other news, I have just gotten over two days of sore throat and fever that I literally brought upon myself by stressing too much. It's so interesting that stress physically manifests itself in me that way. Two days of sore throat and fever that jumped 4 degrees in 3 hours! It burned out at 102.2, after I took 8.5 pills to try to break it and enable myself to sleep...I really cannot be stressed about anything anymore. I cannot stand being sick. Plus, I need to just give it all to God. I can't allow these things to control me like this. I have tried, believe me I have, to let God bear the burden, to let Him do what He knows is best, to give Him what is already His that I've tried to take away...but clearly I needed a little jolt to really mean it.

I've just started reading Radical Together by David Platt. Never having read Radical, I'm not sure what will come from reading the follow-up first. But already I've been very convicted and encouraged by something he's said. I've been very concerned about my ministry in the youth group - not that I shouldn't be there or that I'm doing something absolutely wrong, but that I'm not having quite the effect I ought to. Here's some wisdom from David Platt:

"As Christians today, you and I can easily deceive ourselves into thinking that dedication to church programs automatically equals devotion to kingdom purposes. We can fill our lives and our churches with good things requiring our resources and good activities demanding our attention that are not ultimately best for the enjoyment of the gospel in our churches and the spread of the gospel in our communities.
We must be willing to sacrifice good things in the church in order to experience the great things of God."

He goes on to conclude: "The gospel compels the church to go to God with everything we have and everything we do and then ask, "What needs to go? What needs to change? What needs to stay the same?"
And then wait for God to answer."

This is really speaking to me. This issue has been on my heart for months. I feel like I'm doing good things in the church and not really spreading the gospel in the way Christ has called me to do. But I'm not sure how to deal with this. I'm still waiting for God to answer. We shall see what He says in the next few weeks! I'm literally so pumped for youth group and BSF to start! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment